Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD),
also known as Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder, is a long term pattern of abnormal behavior characterized by
– unstable relationships with other people,
– unstable sense of self,
– unstable emotions;
– often an extreme fear of abandonment,
– frequent dangerous behavior,
– a feeling of emptiness,
Symptoms may be brought on by seemingly normal events.
– typically begins by early adulthood,
– and occurs across a variety of situations;
– Substance abuse,
– eating disorders
are commonly associated with BPD.
About 6% to 10% of those with BPD die by suicide.